Tuesday 29 November 2011

What's in a name?

A few years ago I found out that there was already someone out there in the world with my name that is a published author. Sonofabitch. Good for her! I'm proud that someone with my lovely name has experienced success in the writing world, something I've often thought about. The only thing that bothers me is that I cannot use my own name for writing, should I experience success. It strikes me that using your own name instead of a pseudonym is a shoutout to your parents, a thankful homage to their sacrifices during your upbringing. "See? MY child is a successful published author!" Bragging rights and such.

What are the other options at this point? Do you go with your middle name instead of your first? Do you make up a whole new persona? That could be fun but it certainly sounds like too much work! I have to use a fake persona at my day job (grateful-your-business-sales rep) and let me tell you, it is draining. So I think I'll stick with using my middle name should the need arise. I should probably google it just in case.

1 comment:

  1. Many people use made up names, middle names, or even mother's maiden name!

    ReplyDelete